HP ENVY 5540 Printer - Printer control panel displays 'Ink Cartridges Missing' or 'Ink Cartridges Problem' error message
The Envy printer does not print after installing the cartridges or if the Envy 5540 Ink Cartridge Missing‘ or Ink Cartridges problem’ error message prompts on the printer control panel. Read and execute the steps given below to solve the cartridge issue.
Step 1: Make sure you use dependable ink cartridges
Check the ink and toner cartridge compatibility using these steps:
- Browse to HP SureSupply where you can authenticate ink or toner cartridge compatibility and buy replacement cartridges and other supplies.
- At the bottom of the HP SureSupply page, choose the country/region location or check if it is mentioned correctly.
- Order new supplies or check cartridge compatibility with your HP Envy 5540 printer by following the prompts on the screen.
You can also purchase genuine HP Envy 5540 Ink cartridge Missing and supplies from other stores. If installing genuine HP ink cartridges resolved the issue, you can stop following the troubleshooting steps.
Step 2: Examine the ink cartridges
Scrutinize the ink cartridges to find out the faulty cartridges that are to be replaced.
Steps to be followed to inspect the cartridges:
- Power on your Envy printer using the power button.
- Open the ink cartridge access door by lifting it up.
The Door Open screen is displayed on the Envy printer’s control panel with the message stating, ‘The ink cartridge access door is open. Close the door to continue.’
- Pull the ink cartridge towards you to eject it from its slot.
- See if there are any defensive tapes that are clinging on to the ink cartridge nozzles and remove them.
- Replace the cartridge into the empty slot by sliding it towards in, and then push the ink cartridge upwards until it snaps into place.
- Reinsert the tri-color ink cartridge into the left slot.
- Reinsert the black ink cartridge into the right slot.
- Go over the guidelines given above once again to remove, examine, and reinsert the other ink cartridge further.
- Lower down the ink cartridge access door. When the door is closed completely, the Door Open prompts a message, ‘The cover or door must be closed to print. Check that it is completely closed.’ fades, and the printer gets back to the Home screen.
If the cartridge error continues to display, go to the next step.
Step 3: Clean the cartridge contacts
- Take a fresh and dry swab and filtered water.
- Power on your HP Envy 5540 printer.
- Open the access door of the ink cartridge and then unplug the power cord.
- Unplug any USB cables that is connected to, press on any of the cartridges and pull out of its slot.
- Holding the sides of the ink cartridge, make sure to not touch the copper contacts that is existent on the cartridge.
- Make use of a moist and lint-free swab, clean the cartridge contacts and let it dry for few minutes.
- Also, clean the electrical contacts in the cartridge access area and let the contacts dry for a while.
- Insert the cartridges into their respective slots.
- Shut the access door of the cartridge.
- Reinsert the power cable and the USB cable. Power on your printer.
Step 4: Remove and reinsert the ink cartridges again
Go over the steps again that you have performed earlier to remove and then reinsert the ink cartridges. The cartridges must be placed into its place firmly.
If the error is not existent on the control panel and you are able to print, you can discontinue the troubleshooting steps.
If the cartridge error persists displaying on the printer control panel, continue to the next step.
Step 5: Clean the electrical contacts once again
Cleaning the ink cartridge contacts once again can help solve the cartridge issue. Reiterate the steps that you have performed earlier to clean the electrical contacts on the ink cartridges.
Step 6: Reset the Envy 5540 printer
- Switch on your Envy printer and unplug the power cable.
- Wait for a while.
- Reinsert the power cable on the Envy printer and the wall socket.
- Switch on the printer.
If the cartridge error persists, try executing the next step.
Step 7: Replace the ink cartridge with a new ink cartridge
Replace the faulty cartridge with a new cartridge and then align the printer.
Step 8: Service the printer
If none of the steps that is given above resolved the issue, you can service your Envy 5540 printer.
This website is an independent service provider of technical support and has no connection with HP in any means. Review our policies before getting assistance from us. You cannot avail any warranty services from us, and you have to contact the manufacturer for the same. The details provided on this page are for information purpose only.